Monday, January 29, 2007

Bleak Future
















If there is one thing that I have learned about life from caring for my Zoo, is that we really do not have to worry about the future trying to make plans.

For the past couple of months I have been agonizing over the fate of my Kit & Kat. They were born in my home and I cared for them until they were ready to be adopted. Unfortunately, even now at 5 months old, no one wants them. I know they don't look like they would be winning Feline competitions but I love them with all my heart. Even shelters are reluctant to take them in as with their limited resources of space, they prefer taking in abused & abandoned animals.

So, I scoured the net daily, posting advertisements all over the place. To no avail. Just a couple of weeks ago their mother, Musky, died and soon after, Kit & Kat came into heat. I realised that no prospective adopted family would want unspayed female cats so I sent them in to get fixed.

Strangely, soon after I brought them home, I noticed Kit wasn't eating, so I took her to the vet. Less than a week after she got ill, previously healthy Kat, started exhibiting the same symptoms. They have been given antibiotics and all other kinds of medication and the situation is still the same. Both of them, refuse to eat, they are not defacating and all they do is just sit and stare.

I am at my wits end and I really do not know what to do. I am force-feeding them daily with a syringe Science Diet AD Formula. They now dread my presence because they seem to be in such discomfort when I feed them the formula.

I really do not know what to do. Its so painful watching them weak and listless. And yet, I cannot bring myself at this point to make any hard decisions. All I can do is, continue feeding them this way 4 times a day and pray that each morning when I wake up, that they are still alive or if a miracle were to come, they would be feeding themselves.

1 comment:

  1. The worst experience I ever had: after getting my cat Mira spayed (she was simply TOO FECUND, bearing litter after litter with hardly a significant pause) she sort of vanished for a couple of days. Problem was, I don't like keeping animals in cages, so she was free to move around the house and garden. Anyway, imagine my horror when I found her hiding in the lallang behind the house with half her guts trailing on the ground! Obviously, she had clawed at the stitches in a fit of feline defiance and managed to rip the wound open. I steeled myself and gently tucked her guts back into her belly, then I wrapped her in an old sarong while a friend drove me to the veterinary assistant's house. Miraculously he sewed her up again and within a week Mira was fine and I was able to remove her stitches with a small pair of scissors. What a feisty feline... she's still alive, this Grand Matriarch whose DNA probably can be found in three-quarters of Kampong Pertak's cat population, and my guess is she's at least 11 years old. The good news is that I was able to get her fallopian tube tied without removing her ovaries - so she can still fool around with her toyboys, this oversexed Great-Grandma ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Google
 
Web www.talaspawprints.blogspot.com