Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Simple Heavenly Food!



I was reading some food reviews and apart from having a rather ravenous stomach right now, I have realised that most of my favourite food are obtainable from humble little stalls and don't cost a bomb.
Yet after a meal there, I am left sated and satisfied. Till I get to the car and start dreaming of the dishes, I couldn't eat!

Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy being wined and dined in up-market restaurants. (Sweetheart, I know you will be reading this so you should know that I absolutely love the fish I had at Mandarin Oriental for our engagement dinner, and am ready to go back there. *wink*hint*nudge*nudge)

But I am basically a lover of the simple things in life. And the food I love is no different. Crisp salads sprinkled with crunchy diced fruits; delicately steamed fresh fish; simple pasta with pesto and fresh basil. Of course, there are times when I would indulge in a luxuriant moist chocolate cake or an authentically prepared Indian chicken varuvel or mutton parattel. As with all things in life, balance is the key.

My all-time favourite is Nasi Kerabu. Its a combination of blue rice (derived from a type of flower) and served with a combination of herbs and vegetables, prawn crackers and sprinkled with roasted grated coconut. With the exception of the rice, the vegetables are all fresh and the taste that is released in your mouth when you bite into the mixture is just pure heaven! The herbs are called "ulam" in Malay and they are not only healthy but tasty and aromatic as well.

Another favourite Kelantanese dish of mine is Nasi Dagang. If I am not mistaken, its also served in the northern states. Its a sticky type of rice cooked with coconut milk and a spice-like herb called Halba which has a rather distinct pungent minty flavour. Its usually served with a special curry called Ikan Tongkol, which is actually Tuna cooked in a sweet coconut curry.
Its definately a lot heavier than Nasi Kerabu but delicious nonetheless.

Ok..I have made myself sufficiently hungry now and shall go savour a cracker lovingly.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Google
 
Web www.talaspawprints.blogspot.com